Acceptance Rate 36 %
SAT Average 1,300
Tuition & Fees $51,361
Student Population 14,311
Average Financial Aid Amount Received $26,636
American University is a private (not-for-profit), 4 or more years institute located in Washington, District of Columbia. It is a Research University (high research activity) by Carnegie Classification and its highest degree is Doctor's degree - research/scholarship and professional practice. The 2021 tuition & fees are $51,361 for undergraduate students. The school offers both undergraduate and graduate programs and a total of 14,311 students are enrolled. The acceptance rate of undergraduate school is 36% and the graduation rate is 79% last year.
The salary after graduation from American University varies by major programs where the average earning after 10 years is $67,700. You can check the average salary by the major programs on the area of study page.
For undergraduate school, in the academic year 2020-2021, tuition and fees of American University are $51,361. For graduate schools, its 2021 tuition and fees are $35,524 on average.
The following chart illustrates the 2021 key academic statistics at American. The acceptance rate of American is 36% and the yield (enrollment rate) is 26%. The average graduation rate is 79% and no students have transferred out from the school. The average received amount of financial aid is $26,636 and 56% of undergraduate students received grants or scholarship aid. A total of 14,311 students is attending including both undergraduate and graduate students, and the student to faculty ratio is 12 to 1.
American offers 199 major programs through online and on-site education where 22 programs are available through distance learning. The following table lists the number of programs by offered degree with online class availabilities.
|Award Level||Total Number of Programs||Available Online Class|
|Less than one year certificate||12||1|
|One but less than two years certificate||4||0|
|Post Bachelor's Degree||38||4|
|Doctor's degree - research/scholarship||12||1|
|Doctor's degree - professional practice||1||0|
American University offers online education (distance learning opportunities) for both undergraduate and graduate programs. The school provides ROTC, teacher certification and study abroad - opportunity which a student completes part of the college program studying in another country programs to its students. It also offers weekend/evening classes which is a program that allows students to take a complete course of study and attend classes only on weekends or only in evenings.
|Online Class||Undergraduate , Graduate|
|ROTC||Army, Air Force|
(Typical Annual Charge: $6,104)
American University has programs, benefits and/or services to veterans, military service members, or their families.
|Yellow Ribbon Program|
(officially known as Post-9/11 GI Bill, Yellow Ribbon Program)
|Credit for military training||✗|
|Dedicated point of contact for support services for veterans, military service members, and their families||✔|
|Recognized student veteran organization||✔|
|Member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges||✔|
- Which colleges provide Employment Services in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges offer Teacher Certification program in District of Columbia?
- How many colleges are historically Black colleges (HBCUs) in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges provide on-campus housing (dormitory) in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges are 4 years or High in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges offer One but Less than 2 years certificate program in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges offer Bachelor's Degree in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges offer Two but Less than 4 years certificate program in District of Columbia?
- Which colleges are Private Schools (not-for-profit) in District of Columbia?
- How many colleges offer Online Programs (Distance Learning) in District of Columbia?